Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wildlife Contact

We have discovered many interesting things that pass through our backyard. Today, the dogs found a 5 foot long black rat snake and kindly alerted us it it's presence (by barking furiously for 5 minutes straight!) After walking over to see what had them all fired up, I discovered the coiled snake ready to strike in the grass. He was doing a good job of holding off our "little" pups. It was quite comical to see them jumping back and tripping over each other each time the snake lunged to bite. After putting the pups inside, I threw a towel over the snake to distract him while I got a good handhold to pick him up. Surprisingly I didn't get bit at all! After letting the kids get a good look and showing the neighbor, I set our friend down by a tree and we all stood back, amazed, as he climbed straight up the side and out onto a branch. Why I didn't think to grab the camera until he was up in the tree, I'll never know. *sigh*
Here's our friend laying on the branch... Right ^ here is the tip of his tail... ^ head's up that way.
Not very photogenic for me : (

6 comments:

  1. Eeeeeek! Maybe I'm a little thankful that Sassy had a Dr's appt. last week if that's what you have lurking around your yard! :P Just kidding... mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brave...or maybe crazy!! I think I would be inside the rest of the summer if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never have done that. Brave women you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great you put him back up the tree! A lot of people would have gotten their shovels and pulverized him.

    I rescued a snake last summer that my (then) MIL kept trying to convince me was a rare 'rattle-less rattle snake' lmao, I got him with stick and a box and drove him down the road to live by the lake.

    They wanted to beat him to death with a 2X4, I don't like snakes but I even less like killing things just because they are there!

    Anyway nice story, I have never seen a black snake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He would have gotten the shovel if he were in our yard...Lucky for him he wasn't!! Coming from you I had no doubt how this story would end. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... we just saw one of these at GPNC (in a crate)... I would have FREAKED if it was in my backyard!

    ReplyDelete