Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hell Hath Frozen Over!

Eric and I have been discussing the pros and cons of getting a cat. We are both not cat people... it's not that we don't like cats, it's just that we prefer the trainability of a dog as a pet. However, our children LOVE cats. The love petting, cuddling, picking up and caring for the little fur balls. We have also been lax in our dogs' training and they think cats are play toys (and small dogs for that matter). After much deliberation, Eric and I decided to adopt an older cat from the Humane Society. I guess the deciding factor was when I realized that my daughter asked for a "for real" kitty from Santa last year and Santa mistakenly thought she asked for a "Fur Real" Kitty (the stuffed toy that looks and sounds like a cat and moves). : (

So, meet the newer member of our family. We are still debating his name (since we didn't like the one he came with) but he's a very loving pure white cat with one green eye and one blue. He comes from a home that had both dogs and young children so he already knows how to handle both and so far has done a stellar job with both our kids and our dogs!


I was quite impressed when I carried him in the door this afternoon and he glanced at the SUPER EXCITED dogs immediately dismissed them and started looking around his new house. He even jump down to explore right in front of the dogs (I had them on a leash) and they "mouthed" him (like really wet kisses). He just slowly walked away... no running, no hissing, no clawing!!!! What a trooper! Hopefully the newness will ware off soon that the dogs will come to accept him into our family.
So there you have it! The Monkey House has a cat resident! I NEVER thought a day would come when I would willingly become a cat owner. Oh, the things we do for our loved ones! : )


5 comments:

  1. How sweet! I'm not really a cat person myself, but you make a convincing argument for getting one! He seems like a great addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm sure the kids LOVE the new addition, and hopefully it grows on you a little, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe it after your sister and I had given you such convincing arguments why not to get a cat! Welcome to the brotherhood of mixed families. Just remember to get a scratching post to save your furniture. One with catnip inside works best. I just picked up a new one yesterday because Jack was messing with the furniture after his broke. Love to all. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no you didn't!?!!! You are brave, brave souls to mix a cat and dog family but it sounds like this cat is no wimp! :) Maybe his name should be Trooper...? ha! I totally laughed out loud about the Fur Real Kitty mix-up, how funny! Was she like, "Seriously, Mom....a stuffed cat??" Look forward to hearing about the cat and dog adventures. p.s. beautiful cat, by the way, he's got no idea how lucky he is to have found such a special home (as long as the dogs don't eat him).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, look at that beautiful white cat!! I wish my computer had a snuggle option, LOL! I didn't used to be a fan of kitties, but since having kids, I absolutely love their independent nature. Congrats on your new family member!

    ReplyDelete