Thursday, November 4, 2010

Are they Rabbits or Monkeys?

I am always amazed at what my children will eat fresh from the garden. Last year I got ZERO peas because my monkeys beat me to them. This fall is the FIRST time EVER we've been successful at growing carrots and the kids reaped the benefits (I got exactly TWO carrots!). Check out our harvest... and this in only a fraction! We're going to let the rest grow bigger.
I tried something different this time... I mixed 1/3 sand, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 potting mix and filled two 5 gallon buckets (with holes in the bottom for drainage). I put the buckets right out in the garden and watered as usual. What a success! It won't feed us all winter, but it's a fun family hobby and a great way to teach the kids about where our food comes from.
The taste testers approve! I even heard Amanda ask Logan for one of his carrots after she had eaten all hers! AND HE SAID NO and told her to go pick some more!!!! HA!

1 comment:

  1. What's up doc? :) Cute pics of them eating the carrots! Do you make carrot cake, yummy!

    ReplyDelete