Monday, August 1, 2011

Camping Weekend

This past weekend we joined Eric's dad and his wife at Melvern Lake for some camping and boating fun. Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home in all the excitement of packing so you'll just have to make do with a verbal account. : (
Friday night was nice and cool, for a change, with some much needed sprinkles falling every now and then. With the rain, we enjoyed some cooler temperatures... (but just 2 hours away in Wichita our parched yard got nada!)
We all woke bright and early Saturday morning to jump into the boat before the heat came back. We did a little fishing, let the kids take turns driving the boat, and a lot of swimming. Then Grandpa brought out the "BIG GUNS"! He had a HUGE inner tube that he tied to the back of the boat and pulled the kids around the lake. They had SO much fun... giving the sign for FASTER, FASTER! Then Eric had to give it a try and I'm just happy that he was wearing a life jacket. While Grandpa was pulling the grand kids he took it nice and slow. Turning corners wide and slowing down over the waves. When his own son jumped in the tube it was petal to the metal and tight, TIGHT, turns. Eric lost it twice and I got a bunch of new gray hairs. In all fairness, Eric was having a ball the whole time. That man is a crazy dare devil on the water! Then all decided it was MY turn in the tube. I didn't think it was a great idea... but not wanting to be a party pooper I gave it a go. I KNOW Grandpa went SUPER slow with me, but it was more than I could handle. Maybe if I was 3 feet shorter, 100 pounds lighter and could actually fit INSIDE the tube it would have been better. But hanging over the sides, hanging of for dear life while trying to keep the tube from flipping up in the air... not so much fun in my opinion.
We cooled off in the camper for lunch, let the kids rest while we played cards, swam some more, then the boys and kids headed back to the lake for some night fishing. Us girls were pooped from too much sun and I was fighting a nasty summer cold so we relaxed back at the campsite. Logan and Amanda had a WONDERFUL weekend getaway and can hardly wait until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment