Monday, August 22, 2011

My Birthday Weekend

In the Two Little Monkeys home, the birthday boy or girl gets to choose a birthday activity for the weekend of their birthday. This year my choice was a little different from years past. I wanted Eric and the kids to help me install our new counter tops that we had purchased and were sitting in my bedroom for months and months.

Saturday morning (ie work day number one) the kids couldn't contain themselves. They had gone shopping with their dad for my present and wanted to give it to me RIGHT THEN!!!! Here is the beautiful wrapping job with unique gift bow that they both helped with. Inside the lovely box was a juicer... a cool little machine that I've been wanting. We postponed demolition in favor of making lots of yummy, fresh juice drinks. Along with the juicer they bought oodles and oodles of produce so we did cherry/ plum juice and strawberry/apple juice but when I started trying the veggies the kids hit the road. Apparently cucumber juice is not their fav. : )

After a cleanup party to clear all the counter tops we started ripping off the old laminate. A friend suggested heating up the tops with an iron first to loosen up the glue and boy was I happy for that little tip. (THANKS LISA!!! YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER!) Most of the counter tops came up so easy that a 5 year old could do it... AND DID!






But those two little monkeys are better sprinters than marathon runners... the wide opened cabinets and missing sink hole called their names and they couldn't resist.










Eventually we bored them to near death and they went off to entertain themselves. They made a HUGE mess in other parts of the house but they were playing nicely together so Momma and Daddy were as happy as clams while we finished up.
First Eric glued on the sides and trimmed the edges. The tops we didn't get to until the monkeys were in bed, but that part was the least time consuming.







Here is the finished product. A black and gray speckled counter top with some cream and brown accents... hard to see in the photo but this is the best I could do.






It took all Sunday to put the kitchen back together and the kids helped their dad make a zucchini cake for my birthday... it wasn't finished until last last night so...

... the kids woke up bright and early this morning to ice my cake and sing to me before school.







I've had a very relaxing birthday doing only the things I wanted to do... sadly the only things I wanted to do were laundry and organizing. Eric did take me out to lunch, but my hall closet was begging for a makeover so I had to oblige. But it was super nice not having my two wonderful monkeys go behind me and make messes as I cleaned! A perfect birthday indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! LOVE the new countertops, you guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you had a nice relaxing birthday! The counter tops look really good! I can't wait to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the countertops! Glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete