Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Coachwhip!

** UPDATE: Okay, after much debate, a trip down the wrong road (with a misguided field guide), and some active Internet searching, I've determined that my little snake friend is a Coachwhip!!!!
He/she is definitely a juvenile but the face markings and tail markings make me very confident that we've correctly identified it.**

Eric and I are in a bit of a debate about this cute little snake we found in our yard. I think it's a Prairie Rat Snake and he thinks it's a Bullsnake. He's so young it's hard to tell, but he was SUPER cute and VERY nice. In fact, I even let the kids hold him (which is unusual for me) and they did great (and so did the snake)!






The snake was quite content to just sit in Logan hands. It was a little cold out and I think he was enjoying the warmth.

Isn't he just the cutest thing you've ever seen?!?!?!









Amanda got to take a turn holding him too. Shortly after this photo he slithered back under his rock.

Goodbye friend. Until next time!

2 comments: