Thursday, May 15, 2014

Learning to Fly

At dusk last night I was in our front yard when I noticed a large bird in the distance.  As I watching this bird fly closer and closer to me I noticed it's strange flight pattern.  Rather than fly in a straight line it had an erratic path.  The bird almost hit two trees and barley missed crashing onto my neighbors roof.  With little fineness and a lot of noise the bird landed in the tree next to me.  Then the bird began to hoot.  The notes were a little off, but I recognized it as a great horned owl.  I came inside to get the kids so they could enjoy the sighting and while I was looking for Amanda, Logan saw another owl fly into the tree and land.  This new bird would call to the other bird and the other bird would answer, but this newer bird sounded like the owl that I am use to hearing.  I believe what we were witnessing was a young great horned owl learning to fly and a parent watching over the fledgling and giving encouragement.  After only a few short minutes of watching the owls in our tree the juvenile few a short distance to the trees behind our house and the parent quickly followed, hooting all the way.  I wish I had  taken photos or video, but by the time I pulled my jaw off the ground and thought about it the pair had already continued on their way.

1 comment:

  1. We really enjoyed hearing about your owl sighting!. I waited until Phil got back from Arkansas and had a chance to read it too, before I added a comment.. I probably wouldn't have noticed whether a bird was flying erratically or not, but you painted a wonderful picture that I can clearly visualize. I felt like I was right there too. Thank You. Gayle

    ReplyDelete