Monday, July 29, 2013

Treatment Expectations

Eric and I met this afternoon with the transplant team to discuss Logan's treatment expectations.  His best chance for long term survival is to undergo a bone marrow transplant after reaching clinical remission (again).  We were given a lot of information to process and a bunch of "what if's" but long story short; best case scenario he will be out of the hospital shortly before Christmas with one to two weeks leave between now and then.

It was a very emotional meeting; the side effects and possible complications truly boggle my mind; but Eric and I are trying to take this one step at a time and not dwell on the possibilities.  After the transplant he will be making trips back to the hospital for check ups and tests every other day for a few months, then every week for 7 months, then every month for 2 years.

Anticipating all this in our future, Eric and I have decided to sell our house in Wichita and move back to the Kansas City area permanently.

Thank you to all our friends and family for your love and support.

3 comments:

  1. Diane,
    I just heard the news about Logan. My heart is breaking that everyone is having to go through this again. I remember first hand how hard it was but that sweet boy was always eager to Skype and come to school via computer. If there is anything at all that we can do to help please let us know. Can I get checked to be a donor for Logan? Not sure if it has to be a blood relation.

    Logan,
    You are a very special young man that is going to do great things in life. Fight the fight and come out a survivor just like last time. I think about you often and I loved getting to see you even after I moved. You will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart. I love you big guy! Remember, bald is beautiful!
    Love,
    Mrs. Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard about Logan. I think I'm still in shock because I can't fully comprehend that this is happening again... I know that Logan has been blessed with a strong family to support him and you will do everything in your power to provide him with the best care possible. If you guys need anything please let me know. I'll drive up to KC in a heartbeat!! Give Logan and Amanda a hug for me. I'm sure she has a lot running through her little mind too. Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logan is so blessed to have an awesome Mom & Dad, as well as a supportive sister and extended family. I know you've already made some tough decisions...glad you'll be around family and receive the help you all need to get through!

    ReplyDelete